To keep your garage doors working properly, it is important to perform regular maintenance. If you live in Pacifica and other shoreline areas of San Francisco like Marin County, you will find that the ocean air and moisture can oxidize metal finishes or wear out painted and stained wood. Homeowners in hotter areas like Danville, Brentwood and Walnut Creek, may see significant sun damage. The experts at Madden Door & Sons share these simple preventative maintenance tips for your garage doors.
7 Ways to Keep Your Garage Door in Top Shape
- Do a visual inspection: Look for cracks or dents in the wood, steel / metal or glass panels and any corrosion of hardware. Daily movement causes the hardware to loosen and wear out. Check how your garage door sounds when you open and close it. Grinding and scraping may indicate that the springs, pulleys, cables or rollers might need some lubrication, adjustment or replacement. Call an experienced technician to perform garage door repairs or adjustments. Without the right tools and experience, you may damage the door or injure yourself.
- Check the garage door balance: Disconnect the automatic opener and lift the door manually. If it does not open smoothly or is stuck open, the door might be out of balance. Call a service technician right away.
- Test the sensor: All automatic garage door openers manufactured after 1993 must have a reversing mechanism. This is a safety feature to prevent entrapment-related injuries and death. Wave a stick or broom in its path as the door is closing. If the door does not reopen immediately, the photo eyes on either side of the door might need to be realigned or replaced.
- Inspect the rollers twice a year: Worn, chipped or cracked rollers are a safety hazard. Call a reliable company to fix your garage door as soon as possible.
- Clean and lubricate the hardware: This includes the springs, rollers and hinges as well as the garage door tracks. Checking these parts every six months will ensure your door works properly and lasts longer.
- Examine the weather seal: The damp ocean air and extreme heat can cause brittleness and wear. Gaps are an open invitation to pests and will also let rain water enter. Replace the weather seal if it is cracked, brittle or shows signs of wear.
- Check paint, stain or finish: Examine the door panels for chipping, peeling, cracks, dents and fading. Constant exposure to the sun and damp air is likely to wear out the paint and protective finish. Clean the door panels with a mixture of mild detergent and water. Let the surface dry and then reapply the paint or stain. This will help protect and maintain the overall look of your beautiful garage doors.
Regular maintenance and timely repairs by professionals will help ensure trouble-free operation.
For over 38 years, Madden Door & Sons has served Bay Area homeowners with designing and installing new garage doors, as well as service and repairs for old doors. We have a showroom full of options to suit every style and budget. We offer a Diamond Certified® Performance Guarantee on all new garage doors.
Call 925-357-9781 to learn more preventative maintenance tips for garage doors or inquire online about our services.